Monday, September 28, 2009

THING 40. MASHUP THE WEB

I liked Lunchbox. You plug in a zip code and find a place to eat. Wheel of food is fun and colorful, but hard on the eyes with all the spinning. I searched TimeTube using the keywords "CDC H1N1." Imagine my surprise when I pulled up a single video called "Swine flu rappers." After looking closely, I saw I typed in "HiNi" instead of "H1N1." I searched with the correct spelling and pulled up a timeline with several YouTube videos. I tried to embed it in my blog but it didn't work. Couldn't view the terms and conditions.

Crime reports lets you plug in an address to pull up crime reports in that area.

I tried Walkable to find out the walkability score of my neighborhood. The score was 35 out of 100--"car dependent"--only a few destinations within walking range. No argument there. I sometimes go for a walk in my area, but I don't run errands by walking. I tried my old address in Roseville and the same score came up--35. I have to disagree with that. I lived across the street from a movie theater and a grocery store. I was within easy walking distance of a drug store and the bank. I walked to Como park. I even walked to the library sometimes!

No comments: