Friday, November 13, 2009

THING 45. CLOUD COMPUTING

I've been computing in the cloud and didn't know it. The accounts I've opened for the Things are in the cloud. I have Gmail, Delicious, Photoshop, Facebook and I can't remember what else. The big advantage to me of cloud computing is having access to applications on any computer. I use different computers, and it is handy not to be tied down to just one. On the other hand, privacy and security issues concern me. I don't want a lot of my personal information stored on the cloud. I don't want people collecting information on me so they can target me as a buyer.

Libraries and the cloud: Many of our patrons don't know that when they create a Word document and want to save it, they have to use a jump drive. Otherwise, the document will be lost when the computers go off automatically at closing time. Patrons could use Google Docs, Zoho or something similar and be able to access documents later on any computer (assuming they logged off before closing time).

CommonCraft has just released a video called "Cloud computing in plain English." It explains how with cloud computing you use technology that is not at your site, but at another location-- "in the cloud." Using the web, a business can access servers not on-site, and doesn't have the expense of buying and maintaining the technology. The video uses the term "cloud companies," which I hadn't heard before.

No comments: