Friday, August 1, 2008

THING 10. WIKIS

I watched the Commoncraft wiki video twice and didn't get much out of it. There was no sound. I turned the volume knobs on the speakers (on B's PC) this way and that. Does the video have sound? After reading the glowing comments about how wonderful the video was, I realized it must have sound. Several days later I discovered I can get sound on my PC through headphones. I wonder how long it would have taken me to discover that if it hadn't been for the 23 Things. The video is much more helpful with the sound.

I liked the video on Blogs vs. wikis that popped up after the Commoncraft wiki video. Blogs vs. wikis had old clips of the Kennedy-Nixon debates with someone doing voice impersonations. Kennedy supports wikis and Nixon supports blogs.

I looked at some of the wikis listed. The one from the Albany County Public Library staff wiki was especially interesting. What caught my eye was their list of tasks for TS volunteers. Besides processing, they also clean and dust the server area in the boiler room and make collages for walls.

I use Wikipedia frequently, but sometimes I wonder how authoritative it is. And how do people have time to contribute?

RCL has a reference wiki. It includes many types of info: notes on meetings, a list of fall computer classes for the public, a link to RCL Reader's advisory blog, podcasts to download, a list of SRP programs and more. The main benefit I see is that it collects this in one place instead of having to keep track of it in email.

I looked at the comments in the 23 Things On a Stick wiki but didn't add or edit an entry.

No comments: